What happens if my account was closed at the time of the deposit?
If your account has been closed, the financial institution will return the direct deposit and a refund check will be mailed to you within 4 weeks of receipt of the returned direct deposit attempt. The Michigan Department of Treasury cannot add or make any changes to the direct deposit information after the return has been received.
If your financial institution cannot locate the direct deposit after 4 weeks, you may request a tracer through the Michigan Department of Treasury. A tracer can take up to 24 weeks. We will notify you of the results by mail.
You may request a direct deposit tracer using self-service.
Include your full name, complete current mailing address and the tax year with your request.
Click on the above link and follow these steps:
- Select the “Inquiries” option
- Then select “Inquire about My Refund”
- You will be asked to enter the following information for security reasons:
- Primary filer’s Social Security number
- Primary filer’s last name
- Tax year
- Filing status
- Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)/Total Household Resources (THR)
- If your AGI is a negative number, enter "-" after the number. Example: 1045-
Note: If you are unable to authenticate using your current tax year information, select the previous tax year for
authentication. When you submit your question, explain that you selected a previous tax year for
authentication. Include the AGI/THR and tax year for which you are inquiring.