Individual Income Tax Preparer
The IRS mandates preparers filing 11 or more returns to e-file those returns, with minor exceptions. Michigan would expect any preparer e-filing federal returns to also e-file the Michigan returns (including the City of Detroit returns).
Stolen-Identity Tax Fraud
Michigan, along with many other state revenue agencies, is requesting additional information in an effort to combat stolen-identity tax fraud to protect you and your tax refund. If you have a driver’s license or state issued identification card, please provide the requested information from it. Your return will not be rejected if you do not have a driver’s license or state-issued identification. Providing the information could help process your return more quickly. For more information regarding identify theft visit www.michigan.gov/identitytheft.
- Tax Year 2020 Electronic Filing
- Tax Year 2019 Electronic Filing
- Tax Year 2018 Electronic Filing
- Complete the IRS application process to participate in the IRS e-file Program. It takes about 45 days to process the application. Read more about e-file and the IRS application process at www.irs.gov.
- Once your Federal application is completed and approved, the IRS will forward your information to the State of Michigan and you are automatically accepted into the Michigan e-file program. Then you are ready to start e-filing!
- Taxpayers can browse the IRS Authorized e-file Provider locator service to find a preparer who offers e-file.
- For complete information regarding the Michigan e-file program, please review the Electronic Filing Programs Tax Preparer Handbook.
You will need to purchase tax preparation software that supports e-file. When choosing software, you should consider the following:
- Software must be accepted by the IRS and the State of Michigan.
- What Michigan and federal forms are supported
- Software should support Fed/State and State Standalone e-filing.
- How returns are transmitted.
- Volume discounts and/or charges for rejections or retransmissions.
- Number of software updates issued.
- Communication of updates (Web site, modem, express mail, regular mail).
- Technical support.
Software developers producing tax preparation software and computer-generated forms must support e-file for all eligible Michigan forms that are included in their software package.
View a list of companies that offer e-file software for filing Michigan and federal tax returns for 2020.
Customer Contact Center
Web site: www.michigan.gov/iit
(for State Income tax return status or specific account questions)
Web site: www.michigan.gov/citytax
(for City of Detroit Income tax return status or specific account questions)
Forms, Documentation and E-File Services
Web site: www.MIfastfile.org
(for tax preparers, transmitters and software developers only)
Note: Forms, Documentation and E-File Services staff is unable to provide return status information or address specific taxpayer account issues.
Web site: www.irs.gov