Automotive Complaint Information and Form

What to do if you have a complaint

If you have a complaint with a repair facility or a vehicle dealer, first talk to the owner or manager. When you bring a problem to the manager's attention, you may be able to work out a settlement.

If this does not resolve the problem, you may contact the Secretary of State's Office in one of three ways:

The Regulatory Monitoring Division of the Michigan Secretary of State's Office routinely investigates complaints involving motor vehicle sales and repairs.

For vehicle purchases, you should file a complaint if you have not received your title and registration within three weeks.

For vehicle repairs, you should file a complaint if you believe you were charged for repairs that weren't done or were told you needed repairs that you later found were not needed, even if you did not have the repairs done.

Other government agencies can assist you with the following automotive issues:

Complaints involving design and equipment, including recalls, should be directed to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 800-424-9393.

Auto insurance coverage problems should be directed to the Department of Insurance and Financial Services at 877-999-6442.

The "Lemon Law" and unresolved warranty issues should be directed to the Michigan Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division at 877-765-8388.

New vehicle warranties, questions on warranty coverage or claims are handled by your dealer or the manufacturer's regional office (see owner's manual or ask your dealer). Better Business Bureaus are also equipped to handle some warranty complaints.