Recreational Vehicles

  • You must register a moped, watercraft, or a snowmobile with the Department of State

    If you own a moped, watercraft, or a snowmobile, you must register it with the Department of State (unless it is exempt) and display a registration decal. When applying for the registration, you must submit proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale, manufacturer’s certificate of origin or other paperwork that verifies ownership. Once a registration number has been assigned, it cannot be transferred to another moped, watercraft, or snowmobile.

  • Riding a Moped Safely

    All mopeds must be registered with the Department of State. A driver's license or moped license is required.

  • Off Road Vehicles (ORV)

    ORV's are titled through the Secretary of State. While a registration is not issued, ORV's used on public land must display an annual ORV decal.

  • Watercraft

    All watercraft 20 feet and longer and all watercraft with a permanently affixed engine, regardless of length, must be titled. Watercraft not required to be titled may be titled as an option.

  • Snowmobiles

    All snowmobiles must be registered unless used on private property. A three-year registration is issued for $30. The snowmobile registration number is printed on the three-year snowmobile decal. Snowmobile decals must be displayed on "each side of the forward half of the cowl above the footwell of the snowmobile."

  • Historic Snowmobile Registrations

    Michigan law allows owners to register snowmobiles 26 or more years old and owned solely as a collector's item as a historic snowmobile. Historic snowmobiles are limited to occasional use and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing.

  • Trailers All trailers must be registered when used on-road. If the trailer weighs over 2,500 lbs., it must be titled as well. All trailer coaches are titled and registered regardless of weight.