Voting Rights: Housing Insecure

> Housing insecure voting toolkit (WORD DOC)

Eligibility Requirements

You can register to vote and vote if you are:

  • A Resident of Michigan in your city or township for at least 30 days before Election Day
  • A United States citizen 
  • 18 years old or older on Election Day
  • Not currently serving a sentence in jail or prison  

FAQ About Homelessness and Voting  

Can someone who is currently housing insecure or homeless register and vote?

Yes. Persons experiencing homelessness or housing insecurity can register to Vote. You have a right to vote regardless of housing stability. 

What should I list as my home address if I am currently facing homelessness?

There are a few recommended options for eligible voters without a permanent home address. You can: 

  • List a shelter address as their voting address on voter registration form.
  • Use a street corner or a park address on voter registration form.
  • List an address where you receive mail.

Do you have to have lived in the city/location for any particular length of time to register to vote in that city?

You must be a Michigan resident (at the time you register) and a resident of your city or township for at least 30 days (when you vote)

Do I need to show identification in order to vote?

No, you do not need to show identification at the polling place in order to vote, however, you will be asked as a part of the process. When you arrive at the polling place to vote, you will be asked to present a photo ID such as a Michigan driver's license or identification card. However, if you do not have an acceptable form of ID or did not bring it with you to the polls, you can still vote. 

You must complete an Application to Vote. On the back of this form, you will provide additional information and sign attesting to your identity. 

If you vote without showing photo identification, your vote will be counted. 

How Do I Get a State ID Card   

  • You can get a state identification card at your local Secretary of State branch office for $10.
  • State ID cards are free to individuals who are 65 or older or who are blind. Cards are also free to those who have had driving privileges terminated due to a physical or mental disability. The fee can also be waived for individuals who present other good cause for a fee waiver
  • Proof of identity and residency are required when applying for a state ID card. Visit for details on what forms are acceptable in order to prove identity and residency, or call (888) SOS-MICH (767-6424).