Replacement of Certificate

Agency: State

If a certificate is lost or destroyed, the mechanic must immediately apply to the Michigan Department of State for a replacement. The following information must be mailed to the Business Compliance and Regulation Division, Business Licensing Section:

  • The name and address of the mechanic;
  • The mechanic certificate number;
  • An explanation of the loss or destruction of the certificate;
  • A $5 replacement fee.

Information on certification requirements, application fees, mechanic testing locations and special need test scheduling can also be obtained from the Office of Investigative Services, Business Licensing Section:

Michigan Department of State
Office of Investigative Services
Business Licensing Section
Lansing, MI 48918
Telephone: 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424)
Fax: 517-335-2810