Farmer Endorsement

To qualify for the "F" endorsement, a person must meet all of the following conditions:

  1. The vehicle is controlled and operated by a farmer.  Under the law, "farmer" also includes employees or family members of the farmer.
  2. The vehicle is used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, farm supplies, or a combination of these items to or from a farm.
  3. The vehicle is not used as a contract motor carrier (i.e., for hire).
  4. The vehicle is operated within 150 miles of the farm.
  5. The vehicle being operated is a combination vehicle with a power unit having a GVWR over 26,000 pounds towing a trailer of any size.

Age Requirement

The minimum age for an "F" endorsement is 18.


The fee for an "F" endorsement is $5.


Farmers driving the following vehicles do not need an "F" endorsement, as long as they also meet qualifications 1 through 4 listed above:

  • Single unit trucks with a GVWR over 26,000 pounds.
  • Combination vehicles with a power unit having a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less towing any size trailer (including those over 10,000 pounds GVWR).

Farmers hauling hazardous materials requiring a placard are not eligible for the "F" endorsement, and must apply for a commercial driver license (CDL) with the H-Hazmat endorsement.

Required Tests

To add the "F" endorsement to an operator or chauffeur license, the applicant must pass both the CDL General Knowledge and Combination Vehicles tests.  No additional testing (written test or skills test) is required for this endorsement.

The General Knowledge test is waived if a person has a CDL (group B or C).  This test was passed when the CDL was issued.

The Combination Vehicles test is waived if the applicant has a group A CDL.