All interested persons are encouraged to contact a MSP recruiter for assistance with the selection process.
State Properties Security Officer Hiring Process
- Step 1: Entry-Level Law Enforcement Examination
Take the Entry Level Law Enforcement Exam through the National Testing Network (NTN). The test is valid for 5 years. The exam evaluates the skills, knowledge and abilities related to elements of law enforcement positions.
If you have taken and passed the Entry-Level Law Enforcement Exam within the last five years, you are eligible to move onto Step 2.
- Step 2: MCOLES Physical Fitness Test
The Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) Physical Fitness Test, administered by MCOLES-certified personnel, consists of four separate areas: vertical jump, sit-ups, push-ups and a ½ mile shuttle run. You can view a video of how to properly perform these exercises. You are required to bring a completed Physician's Health Screening form and your valid driver's license (Michigan license required prior to start of recruit school) with you to the agility test.
View the MCOLES testing schedule.
- Step 3: NEOGOV Application
Applicants will be required to upload the following documents into NEOGOV when filling out the online application, if applicable:
- Resume and cover letter indicating interest in the SPSO position
- Valid driver's license (Michigan license required by graduation from recruit school)
- Birth certificate
- Social security card
- Official high school transcript or G.E.D. certificate
- Official college transcripts from all schools attended (if applicable)
- Military Certificate of Release from Active Duty (if applicable)
- Authorization for Release of Information PD-044
Marijuana use is prohibited under federal law for any purpose. Any marijuana use after submitting an application is prohibited and will result in a 1-year deferment from the selection process.
- Step 4: Background Investigation
Considered the most important step in the selection process, a trained department employee conducts a thorough and comprehensive background investigation, including the applicant's past actions and experiences, to help determine the applicant's suitability for employment. The department places significant emphasis on the results of an applicant's background investigation. Members of the MSP Recruiting and Selection Section thoroughly review the completed investigations to determine if applicants will continue with the selection process.
- Step 5: Hiring Interview
Designed to assess specific competencies necessary to perform the duties of the SPSO, the hiring interview will be based on the Michigan Department of Civil Service validated job assessment for the position.
An excellent resource on the Targeted Selection approach to interviewing is the Behavior Based Interviews for STAR techniques webpage, which is provided by the Michigan Civil Service Commission.
- Step 6: Conditional Offer of Employment
Pursuant to applicable state and federal law, candidates who achieve a rating high enough to merit appointment to the Academy are given a conditional offer of employment. This offer states that, if the candidate passes the remaining pre-employment steps, the candidate will be appointed to the Academy.
Candidates must continue to meet the minimum requirements. Negative information that comes to the attention of the department after a conditional offer of employment is made is open to review, and may subject the candidate to revocation of the offer.
- Psychological Screening and Medical Examination: All candidates shall undergo a psychological screening administered at the direction of the department's Behavioral Sciences Section prior appointment to an Academy. All candidates must pass this examination and a medical examination within 180 days prior to appointment.
- Drug Screening: All candidates must pass this examination and a medical examination within 180 days prior to appointment. All candidates shall be drug screened at least once prior to appointment to the Academy.
- MCOLES Physical Fitness Test: All applicants will be required to update the MCOLES Physical Fitness Test with the Michigan State Police before the start of recruit school.
- Step 7: Appointment
Applicants who successfully complete all selection process steps are invited to the next scheduled recruit school. Applicants will receive an appointment letter describing details of the recruit school orientation and specific equipment necessary to begin the training.
- Step 8: Academy Training
Recruits are required to live at the academy during the week and are released on Friday evenings. They are required to return on Sunday evenings. This is a great sacrifice that takes commitment and a strong desire to succeed.