- Applicant must be 21 years of age by recruit school graduation.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. A college education is not required, though it is recommended.
- Applicant must be a Michigan resident and have a valid Michigan driver's license prior to recruit school graduation.
- Applicants cannot have a felony conviction or be a suspect in a case with the reasonable belief the applicant committed a felony.
- Applicants must meet the Michigan Commission On Law Enforcement Standards minimum hearing requirements as well as the department's Visual Acuity Standards.
In the two years prior to the beginning of the selection process for a recruit school, applicants cannot have:
- An assessment of eight or more points
- Three or more moving violations
- Two or more traffic crashes resulting in moving violations or civil infractions
In the four years prior to the beginning of the selection process for a recruit school, applicants cannot have:
- A conviction of driving with a suspended or revoked license
- A conviction of driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including impaired driving
- Two or more convictions of reckless driving