Independent Living Services

A range of independent living services are available to anyone that needs assistance maintaining capacity within their own home. If you or your loved one needs help, contact the Adult Services unit at your local county Department of Human Services office.

Forms and Publications

Non-Medicaid Services

Adult Services staff may be able to provide support to adults who have limitations taking care of themselves and do not receive Medicaid. Services include:

  • Information and referrals to community resources and services.
  • Protection for adults in need of a guardian or conservator but who are not in immediate need of protective intervention - If you have an immediate need for protection, call adult protective services, 1-855-444-3911.
  • Money Management Resources.
  • Housing Resources.

Medicaid Services - Home Help

Assistance is available if you need help with daily activities and meet eligibility requirements. To receive Home Help services, a person must be eligible for Medicaid and require physical assistance with at least one activity of daily living. 

An assessment will be provided to determine whether or not you need assistance with daily care. Below are some of the services that may be available.


You may qualify for assistance with activities of daily living:

In addition, you may qualify for assistance with instrumental activities of daily living:

Eating or Feeding

Taking medication


Meal preparation






Shopping for essential items

Transferring from one position to another


Mobility within the home