Trauma-Informed Systems - General Information
The resources below outline the components of trauma-informed organizations and provide guidance for incorporating those components in policies and practices. For presentations about trauma, its impact and trauma informed care for children of different ages, see the Trauma and Its Impact section of our website.
A psychometrically-validated instrument that measures the levels of trauma-informed care in health and human service organizations.
- Three Principles to Improve Outcomes for Children and Families
Guidelines for improving outcomes from the Center on the Developing Child at Harvard
- Building the Skills Adults Need for Life
Guidelines for building adult capacities from the Center on the Developing Child at Harvard
- Family-Youth-Provider Partnerships
A resource to promote partnerships between trauma-informed service providers and the youth, families and caregivers receiving services.
- Resource Guide to Trauma-Informed Human Services
The guide helps professionals learn about trauma-informed care and helps those currently engaged in trauma-informed work to impreve their practice.
- Trauma Policy Template
Sample policy that can be implemented to support trauma-informed care and practices in a variety of service sectors.
- Training Resources
Curricula and training programs available for a variety of audiences.
- Becoming Trauma-informed: A Guide for Child Serving Organizations
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services offers a structured method for determining capacities, strengths and gaps for incorporating a trauma-informed approach into all levels of organizational functioning.
- Creating Trauma-Informed Systems
National Child Traumatic Stress Network documents and resources developed by the NCTSN Trauma-Informed Service System working group.
- SAMHSA's Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach
Prepared by SAMHSA’s Trauma and Justice Strategic Initiative, this resource provides a working concept of trauma and a trauma-informed approach in order to develop a shared understanding of these concepts that would be acceptable and appropriated across an array of service systems and stakeholder groups.
- Trauma-informed Care: Perspectives and Resources
JBS International, Inc. and Georgetown University National Technical Assistance Center for Children’s Mental Health offer a comprehensive web-based, video-enhanced resource tool that tells a story of implementation of trauma informed services and offers guidance and resources.
- Trauma Informed and Equitable Approaches to Training Development and Implementation
Futures Without Violence offer a webinar that introduces a process for building an equitable and trauma informed training institute
- Measuring Trauma-Informed Practice: Tools for Organizations
Futures Without Violence offer a webinar that highlights 2 empirically supported measures of trauma-informed practice
- Attitudes Related to Trauma-Informed Care (ARTIC) Scale
A psychometrically-valid measure of professional and paraprofessional attitudes towards trauma-informed care (TIC)
- A major component of trauma-informed systems is the recognition of the impact of repeated exposure to client trauma on human service workers and efforts to prevent & intervene on behalf of those workers. The following resources provide information about secondary trauma and ways to prevent it and intervene with effected human service professionals.
- Compassion Resilience Toolkit
Contains facilitator resources to build the capacity of helping professionals, caregivers and the systems in which they serve.
- Secondary Traumatic Stress Informed Organization Assessment Tool (STSI-OAA) An assessment tool that can be used by organizational representatives at any level to evaluate the degree to which their organization is STS-informed, and able to respond to the impact of secondary traumatic stress in the work place.
- Portraits of Professional Caregivers Their Passion. Their Pain.
A documentary film that depicts the dramatic emotional costs experienced by professional providers. It probes the emotionally risky aspects of professional caregiving and public service.
- Encouraging Staff Wellness in Trauma-Informed Organizations
Resources, including a brief, infographic and fact sheet developed by the Center for Health Care Strategies, Inc.
- Professional Quality of Life
A theory, model and assessment measure of the negative and positive effects of helping other who experience suffering and trauma.
- Secondary Traumatic Stress
National Child Traumatic Stress Network provides definition, symptoms, strategies, prevention and resources.
- What About You? A Workbook for Those Who Work with Others
Volk, K., Guarino, K., Grandin, M. & Clervil, R; National Center on Family Homelessness, A tool to help human service workers take care of themselves, their families and their organizations
- Secondary Traumatic Stress Webinar
This Futures Without Violence webinar introduces concept of secondary trauma and how to identify it, also discusses resiliency and way to increase it.