United States Exchange Visitor Program - Clinical Care
The United States Department of Health and Human Services accepts applications for physicians with J-1 visas to waive the two year foreign residency requirement. Physicians must agree to deliver services for three years in a health professional shortage area with a score of 7 or higher and meet the below criteria:
Eligible physician types include:
- Family medicine
- General internal medicine
- General pediatrics
- Obstetrics & gynecology
- General psychiatry
Please note that if an applicant meets the above criteria, the application should be submitted through the United State Exchange Visitor Program - Clinical Care, not the Conrad State 30 Program.
As part of the application package to be submitted to the United States Exchange Visitor Program - Clinical Care, the state health department must provide a letter of support. To receive a letter of support the employer must fill out the request form. Please email the request to Megan Linton at LintonM3@michigan.gov.
In a request for a letter of support please include the following information:
- A copy of the executed contract between the waiver recipient and the employer. Contract must:
- Be of three year's duration
- Obligate the physician to work 40 hours per week providing out-patient primary care or general psychiatric services, and
- Specify the site in which the physician will work (if more than one site, all sites must be located in designated HPSAs with a score of 7 or higher, and the HPSA identifier numbers must be provided)
- Documentation indicating that the employment site is in a federally designated shortage area (HPSA or MUA/P). In the case of multiple work sites, please list them separately.
Please visit the United States Exchange Visitor Program website for the complete application instructions.Submit completed Clinical Care applications to the following address:
HRSA / Bureau of Health Workforce
Parklawn Building, Room 11W-56
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20857