Report WIC Fraud & Abuse
The State of Michigan WIC (Women, Infants and Children) program provides nutritious food, nutrition education, breastfeeding promotion and support, and referrals to healthand other services.
The goal of the Michigan WIC program is to improve health outcomes and quality of life for eligible pregnant and breastfeeding women, new moms, and kids under age 5.
Help WIC Work. Help prevent WIC program fraud and abuse.
WIC takes all complaints seriously and ensure that allegations of fraud and abuse are investigated. WIC encourages the immediate reporting of any alleged WIC program fraud or abuse.
Click corresponding image below to print current posters in English.
Program Integrity Objectives
- Ensure WIC Program dollars are provided only to eligible families.
- Investigate all allegations of fraud and abuse by WIC clients, WIC local agency employees and WIC authorized grocers.
- Increase awareness of potential areas of WIC Program fraud and abuse.
- Assume a highly visible and proactive role in preventing and detecting WIC Program fraud and abuse.
Examples of fraud and abuse may include:
- Sell or give away formula or foods purchased with WIC benefits (including selling formula and/or food online through social media websites.)
- Giving false information about income or family size when applying for WIC.
- Buy non-WIC food with WIC benefits.
- Trade WIC benefits for other items or cash.
- Buy WIC benefits for cash.
- Accept WIC benefits for non-WIC food.
- Accept WIC benefits for past purchases.
- Accept WIC benefits for credit.
- Overcharge for WIC food.
What can the State do if it substantiate improper activities
- Seek restitution for any WIC benefits or monies received as a result of WIC program fraud and abuse.
- Impose a punishment that may result, in disqualification from the WIC program.
- Make referrals to other public programs for investigation and/or possible criminal prosecution under state and federal law.
How to contact WIC
If you suspect someone is committing fraud or abusing the Michigan WIC Program, you can let us know by:
- Calling our toll-free hotline: 1-800-CALL-WIC
Program Integrity Unit
320 S. Walnut St.
Elliott-Larsen Bldg., 6th Floor
Lansing, MI 48913
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 517-335-9206
Individuals making complaints may remain anonymous. Please be as specific as possible with details of the complaint.
Keep your WIC program working!