What you need to know if you are an Interpreter who wants to work in Michigan

  • Sign language interpreters who want to work in the state of Michigan must have listed their interpreting credentials with LARA (see http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-72600_84418---,00.html) and have a valid Michigan certification card to be considered legally eligible to work in Michigan. If an interpreter desires to work in specialized settings, they must obtain Michigan Endorsements which have separate eligibility requirements for each applicable Endorsement.

    Michigan certified interpreters are issued identification cards which indicates their current skill level and any Endorsements they hold. It is standard practice to ask interpreters to show their cards. All Michigan certified interpreters are bound by the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct which stresses the confidentiality of interpreted information. Michigan certified interpreters must also comply with the Deaf Person’s Interpreter Act and the Qualified Interpreter-General Rules (MCL 393.5001-393.5095).

    For assistance, please contact the Bureau of Professional Licensing by email bplhelp@michigan.gov or by phone at 517-373-8068.