- Laboratory Services
The Laboratory Division provides many services. From examining samples of foods, beverages, pesticides and feeds to calibration of metrological standards, lab staff work to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations and to guarantee product quality and sanitation.
- Pesticide Data Program (PDP)
Michigan was one of the original six states selected by the USDA to participate in the Pesticide Data Program (PDP) at its inception in 1991 because of Michigan’s interest in pesticide residue data; availability of laboratory facilities, staff and technical expertise; regional diversity; and Michigan’s substantial commodity production.
- Inspection Service Fees
These are the fixed and hourly fees for certifying weighing and measuring devices.
- Animal Disease Analytical Testing Services
An informative resource for veterinarian practitioners detailing how, when, and where to submit serum samples for bovine & other ruminants, equine, swine, goat, and sheep testing. Obtaining test results is also detailed on this webpage.
- Dry Bean Seed Sample Analysis Request Form
- State Milk Laboratory Evaluation Program
MDARD evaluates Michigan's private milk testing laboratories to assure their performance.
Metrology Lab Services
- Metrology Laboratory Calibration Notice
If you are planning on having any services performed at the Heffron Metrology Laboratory, it is important that you read this notice. It details calibration scheduling, shipping requirements, and standards condition upon arrival.
- National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP) Certificate of Accreditation
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Certificate of Measurement Traceability
- NVLAP Scope of Accreditation
Retail Motor Fuel Outlet Information
- Retail Motor Fuel Licensing
- Gasoline Quality: Retailer Risk Assessment Information
- SE Michigan Summer Time Gasoline in effect June 1
- Attention all motor fuel wholesalers, common carriers and tanker drivers in Michigan
- Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development Gasoline Volatility Information
- Ethanol Blend Retail Guidance
- The Differences in Gasoline
- PA 44 of 1984, as amended, the Motor Fuels Quality Act and applicable regulations
Weights & Measures Information
- Service Agency & Person Registration
- MDARD Weights & Measures Advisories
- Michigan's Hemp Industry and the state's Weights and Measures Law
- Act 283 Amended Sec. 28f(1) Security Measures Final Revised 2-1-18
- Legal Requirements for Michigan Oil Change Facilities Effective April 5, 2017
- Place-in-Service Reports - A How to Guide
- Half Gallon Pricing: How to Request a Temporary Variance
- Gas Price Roadside Sign Regulations
- P.A. 283 of 1964, as amended, the Weights and Measures Act
- Act 15 of 2011: Shopping Reform and Modernization Act
- Act 15 of 2011: A Brief Summary
- Placing into Service Blending Type Gasoline Dispensers
- Request a Variance from NTEP Requirements for Commercial Weighing and Measuring Devices
- Training Opportunities
- Weights & Measures Related Links
- NIST Fuel Tank Capacity and Gas Pump Accuracy
- Accurate Weights and Measures "Is" Good Business
- Routine Meter Maintenance
- Checkout and Deli Scales
- Item Pricing and Scanning Accuracy Questions and Answers
- Why in the World Do We Need Weights and Measures?
- To File a Gasoline Quality or Quantity Complaint
If you suspect that you have purchased substandard fuel (mislabeled octane, water in gas, etc) or that you have received a short/incorrect measure, contact MDARD on our Complaints page.
Questions about gas gouging should be directed to the Attorney General’s office at 1-877-765-8388.