How To Enroll
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have a documented disability.
Students do not apply directly to MCTI, they are referred by one of the following agencies serving the county in which you reside.
- Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS); contact the office in your county to open a case
- Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP)
- U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs
- Private rehabilitation agencies
- Michigan Works! Agencies
If referred through MRS or BSBP – tuition and room & board in the dormitory are free.
What is required in a MCTI referral from referring agency:
- Disability must be stable
- Psychological evaluation completed within the last 3 years. Must include cognitive (FSIQ) and academic scores. Full Scale IQ must be at or above 70
- TB skin test completed within the last year
- General medical report completed within the last year
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed prior to trade enrollment.
Recommended not required:
- Complete and current eye exam (within six months of enrollment)
- All immunizations are up to date
- Hepatitis B Series (Required for Custodial & C.N.A students)
If a prospective student meets the MCTI admissions criteria:
- MCTI will enroll the student in the next available start date.
- The projected date of enrollment will be sent to the prospective student’s home counselor and the home counselor will be asked to share that information with their customer.
- Registration invitations will be sent to the student 4-6 weeks prior to their start date.
For more information contact MCTI at 877-901-7360 (toll free; voice; TTY)
or by writing to:
Michigan Career and Technical Institute
1611 West Pine Lake Road
Plainwell, Michigan 49080
Please note, MCTI enrollments are different from traditional Community Colleges and Universities.
We have enrollments throughout the school year and enroll a new student for the next available opening, unlike other schools who have Fall and Winter enrollments.