Skip to main content
Labor and Economic Opportunity

Deductions From Wages

Contact: Wage and Hour Division 517-284-7800

  • Except for deductions required by law or permitted by statute (income taxes, social security, garnishments) or a collective bargaining agreement, a written voluntary consent is required for deductions made from an employee's wages. 


  • In November 1995, Public Act 390 of 1978, the Payment of Wages and Fringe Benefits Act, was amended to allow a deduction for a wage or fringe benefit overpayment without the written consent of an employee - provided specific requirements are met.  For more information please review our Fact Sheet Overpayment Deductions.