Marihuana Retailers Excise Tax (MRE)
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” Executive Order, only online tax services are available at this time. Please submit your questions online by emailing Treas-SUW-Analysts@michigan.gov. Please allow 72 hours to receive a response. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
Welcome Newly-Licensed Adult Use Marihuana Retailers
Your filing requirement will start the same date that your license is approved with LARA. What does this mean? Even if you are not conducting business in the State of Michigan you will need to file a return indicating that you conducted $0 worth of sales subject to MRE during the tax year.
However, if you wish to make a payment you must use the 2020 Marihuana Retailers Excise Tax Payment Voucher Form 5677.
- Payments can be made via Michigan Treasury Online (MTO) using an e-check or credit card (fees are applicable).
- Cash payments under $10,000 can be made at any Treasury Field Office.
- Cash payments over $10,000 can be made at select locations.
- All cash payments must include form 5677 Marihuana Retailers Excise Tax Payment Voucher Form.