Swimming Pools

Required State License(s):

A public swimming pools, spa pools, whirlpools, wading pools, water slides, etc., are required to be licensed with the Department of Environmental Quality, Office of Drinking Water and Municipal Assistance; 517-284-6529.

Permits are required to construct and to operate these pools.

Contact the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development about pool cleaning, chemicals, etc., Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division; 1-800-292-3939.

A license as a residential builder or maintenance and alteration contractor in swimming pool installation is required when engaging in swimming pool installation on a residential or combination residential and commercial structure. Contact the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Professional Licensing at 517-373-8068 for licensure information or visit our website at www.michigan.gov/bpl.

Revised: 8/2016