Waste Hauler

Required State License(s):

Haulers of hazardous waste and non hazardous liquid waste must be permitted and registered with the Department of Environmental Quality. Application forms and information are available at www.michigan.gov/deqwaste "Hazardous and Liquid Industrial Waste Transporters".

Solid waste haulers are not licensed by the DEQ, but have operating requirements. They may have local business license requirements. See the Solid Waste Haulers information at www.michigan.gov/deqwaste "Solid Waste".

Contact the Department of Environmental Quality at 800-662-9278 for further information.

Shippers and transporters of hazardous materials, including hazardous waste, are to file an annual registration statement with the U.S. Department of Transportation. Details at http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/registration or call 800-942-6990.

Michigan State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division: When hauling for-hire, in intrastate commerce, operating authority must be granted through the Michigan State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (MSP-CVED), Regulatory and Credentialing Section. Once granted authority, the carrier may have to license its intrastate vehicle(s) though the MSP-CVED; 517-284-3250.

For-hire means, for a direct or indirect fee, transporting property not owned nor manufactured by the company doing the transporting.

All interstate carriers, private and for-hire, must register in the annual Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program.

See other entries for scrap tire and scrap metal haulers.

Revised: 08/2016