The Bureau of Construction Codes, Electrical Division of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs issues
A. NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL:
Electrical Fire Alarm Contractor License
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
R 408.30818 Permits and certificates
Rule 818. Sections 80.19, 80.19.1, 80.19.2, 80.19.3, 80.19.4, 80.19.5, 80.19.6, 80.19.7, and 80.19.8 are added to the code to read as follows:
80.19. Permits and certificates. A person shall not equip a building with electrical conductors or equipment or make an alteration of, change in, or addition to, electrical conductors or equipment without receiving a written permit to do the work described.
80.19.1. To whom permits are issued.
(2) To obtain a permit for a fire alarm system, as defined in section 1a(1) of 1956 PA 217, MCL 338.881a (1), an applicant shall be 1 of the following:
(b) A holder of a fire alarm specialty contractor license or the qualifying fire alarm specialty technician qualifying the fire alarm specialty contractor when authorized by the fire alarm specialty contractor to secure a permit.
R 338.1003a Electrical contractor, fire alarm contractor, and sign specialty contractor; license examination qualifications.
(3) To qualify for a fire alarm contractor examination, an applicant shall provide either of the following:
(a) A current fire alarm specialty technician license that is issued by the board or by a municipality providing for licensing pursuant to the provisions of section 6 of the act.
(b) Proof, on a form provided by the department, of the full-time employment of not less than 1 fire alarm specialty technician who is licensed under the act and who resides in this state and certification that the fire alarm specialty technician shall be actively in charge of, and responsible for, code compliance of all installations of fire alarm system wiring and equipment.
R 338.1002a Applications; form; fee; grounds for denial of applications and for forfeiture of fees
Rule 2a. (1) An applicant for examination shall submit, to the department, an application on the form prepared and furnished by the department.
(2) An application shall be accompanied by the fee prescribed in the act.
(3) Each question on the application shall be answered in its entirety.
(4) An incomplete application shall be returned to the applicant for completion and then resubmitted to the department within 15 days after the date of the department's request.
(5) Failure to comply with the requirement of sub-rule (4) of this rule is grounds for denial of the application.
(8) The license for an electrical contractor, fire alarm contractor, and sign specialty contractor expires December 31 of every third year. The license for an electrical contractor, fire alarm contractor, and sign specialty contractor is renewable not later than on March 1 every third year upon application and payment of $200.00 if paid after September 30, 2012 and $300.00 if paid on or before September 30, 2012 by electrical contractors and fire alarm contractors...
The fee for the Electrical Fire Alarm Contractor License Exam = $100.00
Fire Alarm Contractor licenses are issued in 3-year cycles, everyone is on the same 3-year cycle, therefore, the fee is prorated depending on which year of the cycle we are in.
The fee for an Electrical Fire Alarm Contractor license is $300.00 for the full 3-years, $200.00 in the 2nd year of licensing, and $100.00 in the 3rd year.
Bureau of Construction Codes Web-site: www.michigan.gov/bcc
E. Contact Information: