What permits, licenses, etc. do I need to travel interstate?

You will need an IRP plate and registration (cab card), IFTA fuel decals (one for each door on each vehicle), Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) from the Michigan State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division and an Operating Authority purchased from Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC). A Federal DOT number is also required for interstate commerce. Some jurisdictions issue additional special permits (ex. Kentucky’s KYU number).




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.