What documents do I need to add a vehicle to my account?

  • IRP Schedule A/C Application completed and signed (the paper form and signature are not necessary when processed online);
  • Proof of ownership on the vehicle(s) being added into service. Acceptable types of proof include:
    • the vehicle title, or
    • a copy of the front and back of the title showing the IRP applicant as the owner on the front of the title, or a title application processed by a Secretary of State branch office. If the title has been assigned to you by the owner shown on the face of the title, you must first apply for a title in your name at any Secretary of State branch office; If the vehicle is titled out-of-state, please provide a copy of both the front and back of the title. If the vehicle is titled in Canada, you must provide a CBP 7501 form. If adding a vehicle online, DO NOT add a vehicle just purchased into your account until ownership has been transferred and you have a title or validated title receipt. Processing an application without proper documentation will result in online access being restricted. Fees paid for undocumented transactions will not be refunded.
  • Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance;
  • Proof that Heavy Vehicle Use Tax has been paid on the vehicle being added if owned more than 60 days and operating at over 55,000 lbs gross vehicle weight. Contact the IRP Office for information regarding what documents are accepted for proof of payment;
  • Lease agreement - If registrant and titled vehicle owner are not one in the same, or if insurance is in a name other than the titled vehicle owner.
  • Motor Carrier Responsible for Safety Lease – if the registrant leases their vehicle to an interstate motor carrier who is responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle.

The IRP Office reserves the right to ask for additional documentation.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.