- Applicant must be 21 years of age by recruit school graduation.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. A college education is not required, though it is recommended.
- Applicant must be a Michigan resident and have a valid Michigan driver's license prior to recruit school graduation.
- Applicants cannot have a felony conviction or be a suspect in case with the reasonable belief the applicant committed a felony.
- Applicants must meet the Michigan Commission On Law Enforcement Standards minimum hearing requirements as well as the department's Visual Acuity Standards.
Driving Record: In the two years prior to the beginning of the selection process for a recruit school, applicants cannot have:
- An assessment of eight or more points
- Three or more moving violations
- Two or more traffic crashes resulting in moving violations or civil infractions
In the four years prior to the beginning of the selection process for a recruit school, applicants cannot have:
- A conviction of driving with a suspended or revoked license
- A conviction of driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including impaired driving
- Two or more convictions of reckless driving