What is a Departmental Technician?
Departmental Technicians work in many areas of the Department and perform a variety of assignments in support of departmental programs and services. Depending on the Bureau or Division, the technician may conduct feasibility studies, work with criminal intelligence data, read and evaluate documents and processes, compile crime statistics, or monitor financial data. All of the work performed by the Departmental Technician is done to assist the Department and other law enforcement agencies in their mission to provide effective public safety.
- Possession of a high school diploma or a GED Certificate.
- One year experience performing experienced-level administrative support activities.
Salary and Benefits
- Michigan State Police employees receive health, dental, vision and life insurance packages. They participate in the State of Michigan’s Defined Contribution Retirement Program; additional options for retirement investment are available through the state’s 401k or 457 deferred compensation programs. Visit the Michigan Civil Service Commission web site for more information
- Employees earn 13 vacation days in the first calendar year, accrued four hours every two weeks. Additional vacation time is accrued based on years of service.
- Employees earn 13 paid sick days in a calendar year, accrued four hours every two weeks.
- Employees receive 12 paid holidays per year.
- If an applicant meets the minimum qualifications, they may be invited to participate in a hiring interview designed to assess specific competencies necessary to perform the duties of the position. The Hiring Interview will be based on the Michigan Department of Civil Service validated job assessment for the position.
- Selected candidates will be given a Conditional Offer of Employment, pending the successful completion of a criminal background check and a drug screening test.
How to Apply
Vacancies are posted at www.michigan.gov/mdcs under state jobs, view current openings. Scroll down to view current vacancies. Click on the position you are interested in and view the job description. Click on apply and follow the instructions. It requires you to create an account, if you do not have one.