How am I exposed to lead in soil?
- Lead can get into your body by breathing in or swallowing soil (dirt) that has been contaminated with lead from paint chips, dust, or air pollution.
- Children may accidentally get soil in their mouth and swallow it when playing outdoors.
- Lead contaminated soil can be tracked into your home, especially after playing outside or working in the garden.
- People can also be exposed to lead in soil through fruits and vegetables grown in lead-contaminated soils.
- It is sometimes difficult to wash fruits and vegetables well enough to be sure you’ve removed all of the contaminated soil.
- Some plants may even take in some of the lead from the soil as they grow.