Small Business Program (SBP)
MDOT, in accordance with the requirements of the U.S. Department of Transportation 49 CFR Part 26, Section 26.39, has developed a race- and gender-neutral Small Business Program (SBP) to ensure that Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE) and SBP owned businesses have opportunities to participate on federally-assisted projects.
The SBP is designed to:
- Increase the number of competitively awarded contracts to small businesses
- Maximize contract opportunities
- Promote the use of small businesses in MDOT contract opportunities
DBE and SBP businesses in the program will be among a limited group of firms eligible to participate in selected federally-assisted contract opportunities set-aside by MDOT.
Effective July 12, 2012, MDOT established a small business program for set-asides on selected federally-assisted construction contracts that have an estimated construction cost of $1,000,000 or less and consulting contracts that have an estimated consultant cost of $250,000 or less and have available certified and prequalified DBE and SBP firms to compete and perform work for each selected project within the geographical area of the project.
- Business must possess MDOT DBE or SBP certification.
- Business must be small business as defined by SBA standards. Gross receipts must not exceed an annual average of $23.98 million over the firm’s previous three fiscal years.
- Business owner(s) must have a personal net worth that does not exceed $1.32 million. Owner’s equity in primary residence and ownership interest in the firm are excluded from the net worth calculation. Personal Financial Statement
- Business must apply/register with MDOT to participate in the SBP.
- DBE Certification Application
MDOT-certified DBE firms have already met the eligibility criteria to participate in the Small Business Enterprise Program.
- SBP Application
MDOT-certified SBP firms must apply to the SBP to determine if the firm meets eligibility criteria for participation.
- SBP Information
Nick Sundberg, SBP Coordinator
Michigan Department of Transportation
Office of Business Development
425 W. Ottawa Street, PO Box 30050
Lansing, MI 48909