Report a Pothole

Potholes are created when snow and ice melt as part of Michigan's seasonal freeze-thaw cycles. Moisture seeps into the pavement, freezes, expands and thaws, creating a gap in the pavement. As vehicles drive over the gap, the pavement weakens leading to a pothole.

Use MDOT's Report a Pothole form or call 888-296-4546 to report potholes on state roads. Most state roads begin with M, I or US designations (e.g., I-75, M-28, US-23). Your report will be forwarded to the appropriate MDOT region office for action.

To report other potholes, contact your county road commission or local municipality.

For everyone’s safety, please remember to slow down near pothole crews.


Report potholes on state trunklines by filling out the online form or call 888-296-4546.
MDOT Region Map   Region: 
  Interestate/Route: *  
  Direction of Travel:
  Nearest Exit/Street:
  Message: *



Note: Reporting a pothole is not equivalent to submitting a claim for damages. If you believe your vehicle has  been damaged on a state trunkline, see our online damage claim procedure and form.

* Spam Block: (What's this?)