Work Zone Mobility
The Work Zone Safety and Mobility (WZSM) Final Rule was published on September 9, 2004, in the Federal Register. All state and local government agencies that receive federal-aid funding are required to be complaint with the provisions of the final rule.
The Work Zone Final Rule updates and broadens the former regulation at 23 CFR 630 Subpart J to address and emphasize current issues affecting work zone safety and mobility. The changes to the CFR will encourage broader consideration of the safety and mobility impacts of work zones across project planning, development, and the implementation of strategies that help manage these impacts during project delivery.
MDOT created a WZSM Policy effective September 1, 2007. Subsequently, a WZSM Manual was created and published in May 2008.
The WZSM policy for local agencies and utilities/permitted activities became effective on January 1, 2009. The local agency policy applies to projects administered by MDOT's Local Agency Program Unit.
Local Agency Programs
Bruce Kadzban, Engineer Manager, 517-335-2229
Utility and Construction Permits
Joe Rios, Statewide Construction Permit Coordinator, 517-241-2103
- Sign up to receive work zone safety and mobility e-mail updates
Visit www.Michigan.gov/WorkZoneSafety to learn more about Michigan's work zone safety efforts.
- SOA 2017-003 - 75 MPH Work Zone Speed Limits
- SOA 2017-002-Drum and 42 Channelizing Device QC Process - Payment
- SOA 2017-001 - Temporary Traffic Control Certification and Acceptance Procedure
- SOA 2016-004 Drum and 42 Channelizing Device Quality Compliance Process
- SOA 2016-003 - WZD-100-A Ground Driven Sign Supports for Temp Signs Update
- SOA 2016-002 Fluorescent sheeting Implementation
- SOA 2016-001 - Temporary Pavement Marking Revisions
- System Operations Advisories
- Worker Visibility Construction Advisory
- Traffic and Safety Advisories
- Advisories Archive
- Work Zone Safety and Mobility Manual, Effective January 2020
- Work Zone Audit Report (Form 0397)
- Work Zone Safety and Mobility Guidance Document
- Work Zone Transportation Management Plans
- Work Zone Safety and Mobility FHWA Final Rule
- Maintenance Work Zone Traffic Control Guidelines
- Mobility Impact Map
- Mobility Policy for Local Agency Programs
- Mobility Policy for Construction and Utility Permits
- MDOT Traffic and Safety Typicals
- MDOT 2012 Standard Specifications for Construction
- MMUTCD Part 6 - Temporary Traffic Control
- CO³ Analysis
- Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH) Compliance Guidance for Temporary Traffic Control Devices in Work Zones