Highway Advertising (Billboards)

The Highway Advertising Program (HAP) is part of the Utility Coordination and Permits Section of MDOT. Federal law mandates the state establish procedures for effective control of signs along regulated routes. These control procedures are:

  • Permitting of signs, displays and devices in areas adjacent to the interstate system, Federal Aid Primary System, and freeways.
  • Maintaining inventories and periodic surveillance of controlled routes in order to discover illegal signs.
  • Monitoring other signs controlled by the Highway Advertising Act of 1972, as amended.

The intent of the HAP is to protect the public investment in highways, to promote the safety and recreational value of public travel, and to preserve natural beauty.

All highway advertising permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway online service.

For technical problems related to the MDOT Permit Gateway (MPG), contact MDOT-MPG@Michigan.gov or call 844-806-0002.

For technical problems related to IHAP, contact Melissa Staffeld at 517-335-2209.

For instructions on registering for the MDOT Permit Gateway, visit www.Michigan.gov/MDOTMPG.

Online Resources

Questions? Contact Melissa Staffeld, Highway Advertising Specialist, at 517-335-2209.