Required Human Research Protections Training
Human research protections training is a requirement for all Responsible MDHHS Employees submitting IRB applications for review, all primary investigators, and all MDHHS IRB Members. Human research protections training is strongly recommended for all staff with any role in a research project involving human subjects.
MDHHS employees and others engaged in human subjects research affiliated with MDHHS should complete training through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program. The CITI Program is a web-based training tool available at www.citiprogram.org. If you have completed CITI program training with another institution you can follow steps to affiliate that training with the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Please contact the MDHHS IRB if you have questions on affiliating with another institution. People new to the CITI program should set up a new account and complete the training for MDHHS.
The CITI Program Website can get a bit confusing; hopefully these instructions to enroll in the CITI training will help: Access the CITI Program site at www.citiprogram.org
- Find the “Create an account” on the main page and click the “Register” link.
- At the next page pick: “Michigan Department of Health and Human Services” from the dropdown box of “Participating Institutions.”
- Create a user name and password and fill out the remaining information items on the registration page. Press “continue to next page”.
- On the next page there are more demographic questions and you need only complete the required fields. There are two fields on which people often have questions: (1) “Role in human subjects research.” – Please select the option that seems like the best fit to you, your response will not impact the training modules you are required to complete. (2) “Which course do you plan to take:?” – Your response will not impact the modules you are required to take. Select the course that seems to be the best fit for you. The IRB recommends selecting one of the courses that begins with “Basic Human Subjects.” Press “continue to next page” once you are ready to proceed.
- When you are presented the option to select you curriculum, you will now be choosing the course requirements you will need to complete for your required human research protections training. Please choose the curriculum that sounds appropriate for your work area. IRB Members should select the IRB Members training. Press “complete registration”.
- If you have any questions with the remainder of the registration process or with completing your training curriculum please contact the MDHHS IRB. Completion of the training will likely take several hours the first time. Please be prepared for this and feel free to spread your training out over multiple days. Once competed, your training is valid (to MDHHS) for 3 years. At 3 years you will need to complete a refresher course to maintain valid training.