Licensing, Certification, Training

Contact: for Webpage: Sandra Bullard 517-335-0129
Agency: Community Health

Information for the Substance Use Disorder Service System

Click below to jump to an area:

Licensing       |       Certification       |       Training

Substance Abuse Programs:

Program Licensure
A Substance Abuse Treatment or Prevention License is required for any organization offering, or purporting to offer, Substance Abuse Treatment, Rehabilitation, or Prevention.

For Substance abuse program licensure information, to verify a license or for information on filing a recipient rights complaint please contact:

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
State Licensing Section
611 W. Ottawa Street
Ottawa Building, 1st Floor
Lansing, MI 48909 
Call:  517-241-1970  

Or visit their website: LARA’S WEBSITE

Service Description Acronyms:

CAIT – Community Change, Alternatives, Information, and Training (Prevention)
SARF – Screening, Assessment, Referral, and Follow-up

Substance Abuse Treatment Programs who receive funds through the Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities Administration are required to be accredited by one of six national bodies:

** Also accredits opioid treatment programs.

Substance Abuse Program Staff:


Certification is required for persons in specific job classifications that provide substance use disorder treatment or prevention services through the Prepaid Inpatient Health Plan provider network. (The public sometimes refers to this as an "addiction counselor license.")
Certification codes include CCS, CADC, CAADC, CCJP, CCDP, CPS, and CPC –M.

Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals (MCBAP)
Call: 517-347-0891     Email:     Website:
Verify an individual's certification at MCBAP Certified Professionals Online Verification webpage.

Michigan's IC&RC Certification Organization:

Other Certification Organizations:
American Psychological Association (APA) 
American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)
National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC)
Upper Midwest Indian Council on Addictive Disorders (UMICAD)

Continuing Education/Training
Education and training includes:  Training in Recipient Rights, Confidentiality, Level1 Communicable Disease and Strategic Prevention Framework courses.

Improving Michigan Practices

This site offers a wide variety of moderated online courses, supplements to traditional training, and overall information for Michigan behavioral health professionals. 

Professional Licensure:

Licenses for professional counselors, social workers, or psychologists, permit the provision of substance abuse treatment. However, individuals who work in licensed substance abuse programs are allowed an exception from such licensing requirements, but are required to follow the certification requirements noted above.

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
Bureau of Health Professions, Licensing Section
Call: 517-335-0918     Email:
Board of: Counseling, Psychology, and Social Work

Call the following concerning license renewal:

Clinics: 517-335-9188
Health Professions: 517-335-0918
Nursing Homes/Hospitals: 517-241-1970
Pharmaceuticals: 517-335-4845
Substance Abuse Programs: 517-241-1970 or see Program Licensure above
Other: 517-241-9288

Call the following concerning certification:

MCBAP: 517-347-0891