Michigan Department of Education Definitions
As a part of Michigan’s effort to make Michigan a Top 10 state for education, The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) has developed a web page that will host MDE’s key definitions. These definitions are “key” to having a common understanding of terminology used and found in our State ESSA Plan, Top 10 in 10 Strategic Goals and Strategies, and that are referenced in multiple MDE initiatives including the Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS), The Comprehensive Needs Assessment (CNA) Process, to name a few.
This web page has been designed for easy access to these definitions. Our goal at the MDE is to model consistency and accessibility. To further clarify meaning, some definitions are accompanied by visual representation. Stakeholders are encouraged to refer to the definitions and to adopt and/or align them at the local level.
- Coaching Definition
- Comprehensive & Balanced Student Assessment System
- Early Childhood Education P-8 Workforce
- EducationCounsel ESSA P-8 Implementation
- Evaluation and Research Definition
- Family Engagement
- Family Engagement Definition
- P-20 System Definition
- Prenatal through Age 8 (P-8) Priority Initiative
- Preschool Development Grant B-5
- Whole Child Definition