MDE CDC Parent Section Title


Child Development and Care: Parents - Help with childcare is available to parents who meet eligibility requirements to receive assistance with the costs of accessing high quality child care. The resources below will help you understand if you are eligible, how to apply, and how to select the right child care provider.

Child Care Eligibility Expansion Handout

We are pleased to announce updated information regarding financial relief that will positively impact child care providers and families. This letter is also available in Spanish.



Q: Am I eligible for child care assistance?

A: You may qualify for Michigan's Child Development and Care subsidy program if you need childcare while you are engaged in:

  • Employment
    • Employment or self-employment
  • An approved activity
    • College or university undergraduate education, such as associate or bachelor degree, including online programs (Does not include graduate, medical, or law school)
    • Employment preparation or training, such as a trade certificate or training program
  • High school completion
    • General educational development (GED)
    • Adult basic education (ABE)
    • English as a second language (ESL)
  • Family preservation
    • Participating in an approved counseling or treatment program for a physical, emotional, or mental condition

For a complete list of approved need reasons, please review the Bridges Eligibility Manual (BEM 703) policy. To find out if you could qualify for assistance, review the Income Eligibility Scale. For most families, the department pays less than the full cost of childcare. Families are expected to pay the difference between the subsidy payment and the provider's actual charge.

Q: How do I apply for assistance?

A: If you need help paying for your child care, assistance may be available. Use MI Bridges to apply. If you cannot use MI Bridges to apply, you can use the paper MDHHS Application for Assistance (DHS-1171). If you plan to use a license exempt (formerly known as unlicensed) child care provider who is not currently enrolled by the Department of Education, you will also need to have your provider complete the Child Development and Care License Exempt Provider Application. Make sure that your provider reads and meets the requirements to be an MDE enrolled license-exempt child care provider. Have your provider submit the completed form, along with the required verifications, to the address or fax number listed on the application as soon as possible.

Q: How can I find licensed child care providers in my area?

A: To find licensed child care providers in your area, visit Great Start to Quality has local resource centers throughout Michigan where staff can help you find child care that fits your budget and schedule. Please call 877-614-7328 for more information.


Parent Forms & Publications

Parent Resources

Parent Resources