The State Superintendent is appointed by and responsible to the State Board of Education, which is elected at-large on a partisan basis. As the principal executive officer of the Department of Education, the Superintendent sits on Governor's Cabinet, the State Administrative Board, and acts as chair and a non-voting member of the State Board of Education. The Superintendent advises the Legislature on education policy and funding needs, as defined by the State Board of Education. The Superintendent is responsible for the implementation of bills passed by the Legislature and policies established by the State Board of Education. The Superintendent is a major spokesperson for education in the state. The Superintendent also is the primary liaison to the United States Department of Education and other federal agencies, and also provides efficient and effective management of the Department's considerable state and federal resources.
- - Dr. Michael F. Rice - State Superintendent
- - Sheila Alles - Chief Deputy Superintendent
- - Kyle Guerrant - Deputy Superintendent, Finance and Operations
- - Dr. Venessa Keesler - Deputy Superintendent, Educator, Student, and School Supports
- - Dr. Scott Koenigsknecht - Deputy Superintendent, P-20 System and Student Transitions