Library CARES Act Grants
CARES Act Grant Updates:
The Library of Michigan has awarded the CARES Act grants to 294 Michigan public libraries. You can see an overview of the grant awards and the list of libraries awarded grants in the Library of Michigan CARES Act Grants Overview.
CARES Act Background:
The Institute of Museum and Library Services has awarded the Library of Michigan (LM) $902,397 from the CARES Act (Public Law 116-136). The purposes of the CARES Act are:
- To prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, including
- To expand digital network access, purchase internet accessible devices, and provide technical support services
In response, IMLS has two priorities for CARES Act funding.
- ... address digital inclusion and related technical support, using the following types of data to inform targeted efforts:
- Poverty/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Broadband availability
- ... address other efforts that prevent, prepare for, and respond to COVID-19.
To meet these requirements, LM will assist public libraries in providing improved access to the Internet for their community, while maintaining a safe environment for staff and patrons.
Library of Michigan CARES Act Grant Program Goals:
- To assist public libraries in maintaining a safe environment in which to provide library services through personal protective equipment (PPE), facilities cleaning supplies and services; AND
- To assist public libraries in increasing digital inclusion in their communities through provision of internet accessible devices and increased or improved wi-fi access.
Michigan public libraries that are legally established and eligible for state aid at the time of application. Tribal libraries may apply if they meet public library guidelines. More details on eligibility are in the grant application packet.
For PPE equipment and facilities supplies and services:
• $500 per main library location; $300 per branch location
The Library will fund all eligible applications for this first goal.
For digital inclusion supplies and services:
• Up to $5,000 for Class V & VI libraries
• Up to $3,000 for Class III & IV libraries
• Up to $1,000 for Class I & II libraries
The Library will fund as many eligible applications as possible for this second goal.
The grant period is from August 3, 2020 to September 30, 2021.
Application Webinar - May 21, 2020 - RECORDING
Grant Review - July 2020
Grant Award Letters - July/August 2020
- Grant purchasing may not start until the grant start date - August 3, 2020.
GRANT ADMINISTRATION WEBINAR: July 23, 2020 - RECORDING
- Michigan Public Libraries by Maximum Grant Amount and Unemployment/SNAP/Poverty/Broadband Rates
- CIPA & CARES Act Fact Sheet - Filtering Hotspots and Mobile Devices
- Library of Michigan - COVID-19 Resources for Michigan Libraries
- Hotspot Resources
- How To Hotspot: Starting a Mobile Hotspot Lending Program from the Maine State Library
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Lending Program Description from the Arizona State Library
- Mobile WiFi Hotspot Resources from the Texas State Library and Archives
Forms and Documents
- CARES Act Grant Program Application Information
- CARES Act Grant Program Timeline
- CARES Act Grant Program Grant Administration Manual
- Application Form - LSTA Grants - CIPA Form and Certifications and Assurances - For Online Submission Only
- Active Grant Form - CARES Act Grant Program Reimbursement Form - SAMPLE of Online Form
- Active Grant Form - CARES Act Grant Program Interim and Final Report Form - SAMPLE of Online Form
Application is by online form. The application questions are listed in the document above. Applicants should read Application Information document before submitting an application. If you have further questions, you can participate in the application webinar before applying. The necessary certifications (CIPA form and Certifications & Assurances) are included in the Application Information document and are also posted above. Print and sign the certifications and submit them online within the application.
APPLY FOR A GRANT OR SUBMIT GRANT FORMS
- APPLICATION CLOSED
- Return to an Application and/or Submit a Reimbursement or Report.
Please contact Karren Reish at 517-241-0021 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions on the program.
- APPLICATION CLOSED