- School Libraries for the 21st Century Measurement Benchmarks (SL 21) are a tool to help measure the quality of School Library programs within individual school buildings in Michigan. To achieve Qualified and Exemplary Status for a School Library program, submit completed measurement benchmark evaluations to the Library of Michigan, an Office of the Michigan Department of Education. School administrators evaluate their building's library program in conjunction with their School Librarian. Submissions require the signature of the District Superintendent. Status earned is valid for three years. The SL 21 measures are reviewed and revised every three years by the Library of Michigan and the School Library Workgroup to ensure that the measures are relevant and appropriate for Michigan's school library programs. Please contact Karren Reish at email@example.com or 517-241-0021 with any questions on the SL 21 program.
- SL 21 Measurement Benchmarks for Michigan School Libraries
PDF sample of the measures. Application is made online.
SUBMIT an SL 21 APPLICATION
- Start an SL 21 APPLICATION
- Return to a saved SL 21 APPLICATION
- Signature sheet to submit in the online application.
NOTE: Online application works best in Firefox or Internet Explorer. Do NOT use Chrome.
Model SL 21
The Library of Michigan is pleased to recognize Owen Intermediate School in the Van Buren Public Schools as the 2019/2020 Model 21st Century School Library! Jonathan Richards is the School Library Media Specialist for Owen Intermediate School in Belleville with Principal Melissa Lloyd. Jonathan and his library program were selected because of his outstanding work collaborating with teaching colleagues in Language Arts and Social Studies as well as using primary source materials with students.
Owen Intermediate School staff are available for consultation and visits for the 2019/2020 school year. Those interested in learning about the program and curriculum may contact Jonathan Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org or Karren Reish at email@example.com.
The Model 21st Century School Library (Model SL 21) provides examples and mentors for K-12 school libraries throughout the state. Libraries interested in serving as models for the school library community are welcome to nominate themselves at the survey below. Each year, a school library program is selected and highlighted as the Model SL 21 School Library Program of the Year. The expectations for the selected school library is that the staff will meet with other school library staff during their term as the Model library to help promote and encourage quality K-12 school library programs across the state.
Nominations are accepted in the spring, the Model Library for the coming school year is announced in May and serves as a mentor throughout the next year to library staff and schools around the state.
- Model SL 21 School Library Programs Criteria, Schedule, Expectations and Recommendations