Skip to main content
Labor and Economic Opportunity

Worker Information

  • Workers' compensation is the system used to provide wage replacement, medical, and rehabilitation benefits to workers who suffer a work-related injury. The State of Michigan does not ordinarily pay workers' compensation benefits. Most employers in Michigan purchase an insurance policy from a private insurance company or they are authorized to be self-insured.

    If you are injured on the job, report the injury to your employer immediately. Medical benefits should be provided from the day of injury. During the first 28 days of treatment, your employer has the right to choose the doctor. After that, you are free to change doctors providing that you notify your employer and insurance company, preferably in writing. You do not need authorization from the insurance company or your employer to be medically treated, as long as the treatment is reasonable and necessary, and your claim is not in dispute.

    There is a seven-day waiting period to be eligible for wage-loss benefits. If your wage loss lasts longer than seven consecutive days (including weekends and holidays), you are entitled to benefits starting on the eighth day. If your wage loss continues for 14 days or longer, you are entitled to payment for that first week of disability. Weekly benefits are roughly 80 percent of your after-tax wages.

    If your employer will not file a claim for you, you may file form WC-117 with the Agency. If your claim is disputed by the insurance company or self-insured employer, you may need to file a form WC-104A, Application for Mediation or Hearing.

    If you have questions or need help, call 888-396-5041 or email the Agency at

    image to link of Workers Frequently Asked Questions