MPSC: Even with Natural Gas Prices at Their Lowest Since the Winter of 2002-2003, It Still Pays to "Be WinterWise"
Contact: Judy Palnau, 517-241-3323
Agency: Michigan Public Service Commission
November 01, 2013 - The Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) today said it pays to "Be WinterWise," even with Michigan's average natural gas prices at their lowest level since the winter of 2002-2003.
"Michigan utility customers are benefitting from the falling cost of natural gas, but there are still ways to cut winter energy bills by becoming more energy efficient," noted MPSC Chairman John D. Quackenbush. "The MPSC's Be WinterWise website features important information on how to reduce energy usage during the heating months, how to avoid shut-offs, and ways to get assistance with bills."
The website includes:
- Low-cost ways to reduce energy usage
- Energy assistance programs designed to prevent shut-offs, including:
- Winter Protection Plans for senior citizens and low-income customers
- State Emergency Relief
- Medical emergency shut-off protection
- Shut-off protection for active duty military personnel or their spouse
- Information on grants from the Michigan Energy Assistance Program
- Home Heating Credit
- Weatherization Assistance Program
- Lifeline discount telephone service program for low-income customers
- Earned income credit
The Be WinterWise website is located at: Michigan.gov/BeWinterWise
The MPSC is an agency within the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
For more information about LARA, please visit www.michigan.gov/lara
. Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/michiganLARA
”us on Facebook or find us on YouTube www.youtube.com/michiganLARA