MPSC Issues 2012 Annual Report
Contact: Judy Palnau, 517-241-3323
Agency: Michigan Public Service Commission
March 04, 2013 - The Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) today issued its annual report to Governor Rick Snyder and the Michigan Legislature.
Highlights of the 2012 report include the following:
- The MPSC awarded $27 million in grants for low-income energy assistance to various organizations. The grants provide immediate assistance for heating needs as well as longer-term assistance in reducing future heating costs for low-income and senior citizens.
- The Commission extended its consumer outreach efforts by attending 40 events throughout the state, ranging from utility sponsored Customer Assistance Days to fairs. The Commission continues to make its Commission meetings available via podcast, handling 14,565 consumer contacts and assisting consumers and businesses with more than 9,031 electric and natural gas complaints and inquiries; 2,102 telecommunications complaints and inquiries; and 880 video/cable complaints and inquiries.
- The Commission in 2012 issued 743 orders, consisting of 227 telecommunications, 431 electric, 78 natural gas orders, and seven motor carrier orders.
- The Commission also completed three electric rate cases and one natural gas rate case.
- Among the orders issued by the Commission during 2012 were approvals of applications to replace, construct, and operate nine natural gas and liquid pipelines.
The MPSC is an agency within the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
For more information about LARA, please visit www.michigan.gov/lara. Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/michiganLARA, "Like" us on Facebook or find us on YouTube www.youtube.com/michiganLARA.