Part 41 Wastewater Construction Permits
The Water Resources Division has responsibility for processing Wastewater Construction Permit Applications under the authority of Part 41, Sewerage Systems, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended.
The purpose of this permit is to ensure that plans and specifications for wastewater facilities are complete with regard to the minimum requirements and that the proposed construction is acceptable with regard to accepted design standards for wastewater facilities to protect the public health and the environment.
The permit application has been incorporated into the MiWaters system. Once you are on the MiWaters home page, sign in with your MiWaters account information (be sure the proper site name is selected), then click on “Apps, Requests and Reports”. For new applications, select “Start New Form”, then you can search for the application [Standard/Expedited Permit Application for Wastewater Systems (Part 41)] in the “Form Name” field. To continue filling out an application that has already been started, select “Continue Draft & View Submitted Forms” and find the application. For more information regarding Part 41 permit application submittals in MiWaters, including a webinar with instructions for completing and submitting the application electronically, see the MiWaters Information section below.
This page can be accessed as www.mi.gov/part41
- Part 41 - Sewerage Systems Permit Approval Policy
- Part 41 Staff Map
- Nongovernmental Ownership Checklist on Privately Owned, Public Systems
- Expedited Application Review Information
- Professional Engineers Rules and Act 299 of 1980 (occupation code)
- Recommended Standards for Wastewater Facilities
- EPA Reliability Criteria
- Streamline Permit Program Description
Monthly Operating Reports
- MiWaters Application
As of January 1, 2019, Part 41 permit applications are required to be submitted electronically in the MiWaters system. Please contact your district Part 41 contact if you need to set up a MiWaters account or have questions regarding electronic submission of a Part 41 permit application.
- MiWaters Application - CSO/SSO Discharge Search
- MiWaters Information
- Webinar Recording: Electronically Submitting a Part 41 Sewer Construction Permit Application through MiWaters