• Michigan's Public Health Code, 1978 PA 368, as amended (the Act), and the administrative rules adopted pursuant to the Act establish the requirements for building and operating a campground. A license from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy is required to operate a campground in the State of Michigan.  The Campground Program may be reached at 517-282-4032.



    The EGLE Campgrounds Program began using a new IT system September 14, 2020 called the Michigan Environmental Health and Drinking Water Information System (MiEHDWIS), nicknamed Eddy. This new, easy-to-use system allows for better communication and more efficient processes for licensed campgrounds. Current functionality allows external users to create an account and directly upload documents such as applications, engineered construction plans, and other supporting information from campground owners or inspection reports from Local Health Department staff. Additional functionality will be released in the future. Campground owners should continue communicating directly with local health departments regarding water supplies and field-related work. To learn more about MiEHDWIS and how to create an account, please visit: and view the MiEHDWIS for Campground and Septage Owners and Operators video.

Temporary Campgrounds

  • ***The Temporary Campground License Application is a triplicate form and may not be downloaded or copied. Please visit your local health department for the application or call EGLE's Campground Program at 517-282-4032.***
  • Steps for Obtaining a Temporary Campground License PDF icon