Electronic Waste Takeback ProgramContact: email: Steve Noble 517-449-6153Agency: Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
Electronic Waste Takeback Program The Electronic Waste Takeback Program was established in 2008 as part of a law promoting electronic waste recycling.
The law requires:
Manufacturers who are selling new TVs and computers in Michigan must:
- Register with the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE).
- Have an electronic recycling (takeback) program-free and convenient for households and small businesses (less than 10 employees)
- Maintain a Web site and otherwise inform consumers how to recycle TVs and computers
- Submit annual information about their takeback program (number of units collected, names of collection or recycling agencies involved)
- Sell ONLY new computers and TVs produced by registered manufacturers
A retailer may not offer for sale a covered electronic device in the state of Michigan per Section 17303 unless the brand owner of the device is in compliance with the requirements of Act 451, Part 173, Electronics.
A covered electronic device includes but is not limited to desktop computers, laptop computers, monitors, tablets, televisions and printers. Here is an explanation of the term Covered Electronic Device.
EGLE generates a registered brands list based on registrations received, reviewed and determined to be administratively complete. This is the currently registered brands and the associated manufacturers. The list is updated 6 times a year as companies complete the registration process outlined by the Michigan Electronics Takeback Program, Act 451, Part 173.
- Register with EGLE.
- Comply with federal and state recycling laws.
- Annually report the amount of recycled material and the names and locations of recycling facilities under their direct control in Michigan who processed the recycled equipment.
“Please note that beginning in Program Year 2021, we will be only using the ecycleregistration.org system for manufacturers to register for the Michigan Electronics Takeback Program.”
FY 2021 information:
- 2021 Registered Recyclers List
- 2021 Registered Manufacturers List
- 2021 Registered Recyclers Certifications List
- 2021 Mailback Program List
FY 2020 information:
- 2020 Registered Recyclers List
- 2020 Registered Manufacturers List
- 2020 Registered Recyclers Certifications List
- 2020 Mailback Program List
Part 173 Reports: