Permit Application Instructions for a Blanket Permit to Drill Test WellsContact: Permits and Bonding Unit, 517 284-6826
- Effective June 1, 2004, major changes were made to the bond rules, and all the forms have been revised.
- Effective August 19, 2004 all forms were revised again to reflect the name change to Office of Geological Survey.
- The Office of Geological Survey is now the Office of Oil, Gas, and Minerals.
Application Instructions for a Blanket Permit to Drill Test Wells
Part 625, Mineral Wells, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended
Permit application requirements for a blanket permit in a county to drill one or more test wells whose depths are greater than 50 feet and less than 250 feet deep, and will either penetrate bedrock or penetrate below the deepest freshwater stratum.
Well Identification and Project Description
1. Describe in detail the purpose and number of the wells and outline the program and timetable for drilling and testing.
2. Notification: At the same time as submitting the permit application, mail via first-class United States mail, a copy of the first page of the permit application and cover letter to the clerk of the township and to the surface owners of record of the land on which the wells are to be located.
3. File form EQP 7200-1, Application for Permit to Drill, Deepen, Operate, with an original signature from the applicant or the applicant’s agent for each proposed test well. Complete lines 1 through 12. Enter the location information on line 14 identifying the distances from section lines or alternatively, the latitude and longitude of the well location. Identify the method used to determine the well locations. Complete remaining lines 17 through 28 as appropriate for each well bore.
4. Provide a 7.5 minute topographic map showing approximate well locations.
5. File form EQP 7500-3, Environmental Impact Assessment for Mineral Wells and Surface Facilities. Submit extra pages or attachments as needed, to accurately describe distances to the identified features.
6. File form EQP 7200-18, Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Plan if earth changes of area greater than one acre or closer than 500 feet to surface water are planned.
7. Provide a conformance bond. For information regarding bonding options go to www.michigan.gov/deqoilgasminerals and click on Mineral Wells or contact Joe Pettit at 517-284-6837.
Mineral Well bond amounts are as follow:
- Blanket test well permit for 1 to 24 wells $ 5,500.00
- Blanket test well permit for 25 to 49 wells $ 11,000.00
- Blanket test well permit for 50 to 75 wells $ 16,500.00
- Blanket test well permit for 76 to 200 wells $ 22,000.00
9. File an Organization Report, form EQP 7200-13, if a current organization report is not on file with the EGLE.
10. Enclose the permit application fee as specified by statute for a blanket test well permit as follows
- Blanket test well permit for 1 to 24 wells $ 75.00
- Blanket test well permit for 25 to 49 wells $ 150.00
- Blanket test well permit for 50 to 75 wells $ 300.00
- Blanket test well permit for 76 to 200 wells $ 600.00
11. Describe the drilling program, including the drilling fluid and mud program, how the fluids will be handled and ultimate disposition of the drilling fluids.
12. If casing will be cemented, describe the cementing program including the type, properties and compressive strength of cement to be used on each casing string.
13. Describe any proposed wireline logging and/or testing program.
15. Describe any planned coring program.
16. Provide a proposed plugging procedure and plugging schedule.
Please collate the above documents into a set and mail the original and two copies of the application (total of 3 sets) plus 3 additional copies of form EQP 7200-1 to:
Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
Oil, Gas, and Minerals Division, P.O. Box 30256
Lansing, MI 48909