Arbor Hills Landfill Information
While solid waste landfills like the Arbor Hills landfill provide a necessary service in Michigan, facilities must operate safely, in accordance with regulations, and as a good neighbor to our citizens.
In January 2016, EGLE began receiving odor complaints from residents living near the landfill. The landfill is currently owned by Green for Life Environmental - Arbor Hills Landfill, Inc. The adjacent landfill gas-to-energy plant is owned by Arbor Hills Energy LLC (AHE), a subsidiary of the Fortistar Methane Group. EGLE has determined fugitive emissions of landfill gas are the source of most of the odors. EGLE expects landfills to correct any non-compliance issues promptly and thoroughly.
EGLE and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) have conducted several investigations of the landfill. Based on these investigations, EGLE has issued multiple violation notices for failing to properly operate the gas collection and control system as well as other issues of non-compliance with environmental rules and regulations. In October 2020, EGLE and the Michigan Attorney General's Office filed a lawsuit against the landfill for continued non-compliance.
EGLE staff continues to respond to odor complaints being filed by residents near the landfill and conduct on-site inspections and area odor evaluations of the landfill.
September 2021 Update: The USEPA has opened public comment on a joint enforcement action against Arbor Hills Energy until October 15, 2021. Find out more information about the draft consent decree and how to submit comments from the USEPA's "Notice of Lodging of Proposed Consent Decree Under the Clean Air Act."
- • Historical Information & Summaries of Activities
- • Odor Survey Form
- • Additional Odor Information (including historical odor reports)
- • Ambient Air Sampling Evaluation (February 6, 2016)
- • Lab Sampling Reports (February & March 2016)
- • H2S / CH4 Evaluation Monitoring Results Evaluation (April 19, 2016)
- • Summary of 2017 Arbor Hills Landfill GMAP Air Monitoring (May 14, 2018)
- • Arbor Hills PFAS Investigation
EGLE Compliance Actions
- Air Inspection, Compliance & Enforcement Documents
- Violation Notices (VNs)
- Responses to VNs
- Enforcement Documents
- Inspection Reports
- Stack Tests
EPA Enforcement Actions
- Advanced Disposal Services (2016)
- BFI Waste Systems of North America LLC (2016)
- Fortistar Methane Group LLC (2016)
- Administrative Consent Order (2017)
- EPA Enforcement Inspection Report (2017)
- EPA Consent Agreement and Final Order (BFI) (2018)
- EPA Consent Agreement and Final Order (2019)
- AG Nessel, EGLE File Lawsuit Against Arbor Hills Landfill for Violating Environmental Regulations (2020)
- Permit No. 19-17B: Temporary Flare Permit (Voided March 12, 2019)
- Permit No. 79-17: Permit Terms & Conditions (Approved April 13, 2018)
- Renewable Operating Permit (ROP) No. MI-ROP-N2688-2011a & Related Documents
- Landfill Construction Updates
- Advanced Disposal Withdraws Request for Expansion (August 29, 2016)
- Gas Collection System (November 1, 2016)
- Building a Better Arbor Hills Investment & Construction (July 27, 2017)