RMS provides expertise and assistance to state and local government agencies with managing records and information in the most effective, cost efficient, and legally compliant manner.
Note: This site provides information to local governments about the State of Michigan's records management program. State of Michigan employees should visit the InsideMichigan intranet site instead. Please be aware that Records Management Services does not provide assistance to private sector organizations and companies, nor the general public.
Services for Government
Services for State and Local Government
- A variety of services are available to government agencies to assist with the effective and efficient management of records.
- Microfilming Services Information about microfilming services that are available to Michigan government agencies.
- Document Imaging Services
Information about document imaging services that are available to Michigan government agencies.
- Disposition of Public Records
How to dispose of public records that have fulfilled their retention period.
Retention and Disposal
Retention and Disposal Schedules
Retention & Disposal Schedules identify all of the records that are maintained by government agencies, regardless of format. Schedules define how long records need to be retained to satisfy administrative, fiscal, legal and historical requirements, and they specify if/when records can be destroyed. Local government schedules are approved by an agency, Records Management Services, Archives of Michigan, and the State Administrative Board. Approved schedules provide the only legal authority to destroy public records.
- Agency-Specific Schedules
Agency-specific schedules cover records that are unique to a particular agency. This page has information about creating specific schedules.
- General Schedules for Local Government
General Schedules cover records that are common to a particular function or type of agency. Electronic copies are available for viewing and printing.
- Frequently Asked Questions about General Schedules Information about general schedules for state agencies and local governments.
Records Management Training
Online Training Note: online classes can be taken at any time by clicking on the links below, and do not require pre-registration.
- Managing Records is Important: This interactive online tutorial provides a brief introduction to the records management responsibilities of Michigan government employees.
- Basic Records Management: This online class defines the different types of records and explains how Retention and Disposal Schedules assist and protect Michigan government agencies. This essential class will help all government employees comply with their records management responsibilities.
- How to Manage Records: This online class describes best practices for managing paper and electronic recordkeeping systems. The target audience is employees with responsibilities for managing centralized recordkeeping systems. However, many employees will benefit from the tips that are provided.
- Imaging and Document Management Solutions: This online class helps agencies identify cost effective ways to manage records and information using technology.
- E-mail Management: This online class provides information about how to manage e-mail records.
- Snack It & Pack It: This online class provides tips for how to clean up your office.