RMS provides expertise and assistance to state and local government agencies with managing records and information in the most effective, cost efficient, and legally compliant manner.
Note: This site provides information to local governments about the State of Michigan's records management program. State of Michigan employees should visit the InsideMichigan intranet site instead. Please be aware that Records Management Services does not provide assistance to private sector organizations and companies, nor the general public.
Services for Government
Services for State and Local Government
- A variety of services are available to government agencies to assist with the effective and efficient management of records.
- Preservation of Historical Records
Information about the Archives of Michigan.
- Microfilming Services Information about microfilming services that are available to Michigan government agencies.
- Document Imaging Services
Information about document imaging services that are available to Michigan government agencies.
- Disposition of Public Records
How to dispose of public records that have fulfilled their retention period.
Retention and Disposal
Retention and Disposal Schedules
Retention & Disposal Schedules identify all of the records that are maintained by government agencies, regardless of format. Schedules define how long records need to be retained to satisfy administrative, fiscal, legal and historical requirements, and they specify if/when records can be destroyed. Local government schedules are approved by an agency, Records Management Services, Archives of Michigan, and the State Administrative Board. Approved schedules provide the only legal authority to destroy public records.
- Agency-Specific Schedules
Agency-specific schedules cover records that are unique to a particular agency. This page has information about creating specific schedules.
- General Schedules for Local Government
General Schedules cover records that are common to a particular function or type of agency. Electronic copies are available for viewing and printing.
- Frequently Asked Questions about General Schedules
Information about general schedules for state agencies and local governments.
Records Management Training
Records Management Training - Online
Note: online training can be taken at any time by clicking on the links below, and do not require pre-registration.
Quick Hits: These short online tutorials (less than fifteen minutes each) focus on a specific records management topic.
- Introduction to Records Management: This online tutorial provides a brief introduction to the records management responsibilities of Michigan government employees.
- To Keep or Not to Keep?: This online tutorial defines what is an official record that needs to be kept in compliance with a Retention and Disposal Schedule, and what are unofficial records that can be destroyed to save money and reduce risk.
- Filing and Storing Records: This online tutorial provides information about how to file and store records effectively.
- Understanding Records Retention: This online tutorial explains what records Retention and Disposal Schedules are, and how they help agencies manage records.
- Records Clean-up: This online tutorial encourages government agencies to destroy records on a regular basis in compliance with an approved schedule.
- Email Management: This online tutorial provides information about how to manage email records.
- Email Maintenance: This online tutorial provides tips for keeping a clean email account.
- Snack It & Pack It: This online tutorial provides tips for how to clean up your office.
- Destruction of Confidential Records: This online tutorial encourages agencies to destroy confidential records using a method that ensures the information cannot be re-constructed or accessed inappropriately.
The Essentials: These classes provide comprehensive information about records management topics.
- Basic Records Management: This online class defines the different types of records, and explains how Retention and Disposal Schedules assist and protect Michigan government agencies. This class will help all government employees comply with their records management responsibilities.
- How to Manage Records: This online class describes best practices for managing paper and electronic recordkeeping systems. The target audience is employees with responsibilities for managing centralized recordkeeping systems. However, many employees will benefit from the tips that are provided.
- Imaging and Document Management Solutions: This online class helps agencies identify cost effective ways to manage records and information using technology.