Subscribe to Showcasing:
Topics range from fishing and hunting to history and outdoor recreation. This is a weekly feature story sent on Thursday.
- Task force making strides toward protecting Buffalo Reef
The multi-agency Buffalo Reef Task Force is moving forward on several fronts in its efforts to protect the underwater natural reef off the Keweenaw Peninsula from being smothered by migrating copper mine tailings.
- Eichinger draws on deep outdoor tradition in new role as DNR director
Michigan DNR's 21st director and the youngest ever to hold the post, Dan Eichinger grew up hunting and fishing, and his lineage is steeped in natural resources conservation advocacy and appreciation.
- DNR conservation officers respond to numerous calls for help during stormy, cold, wintry weather DNR conservation officers were working under extreme conditions over eight days of intense winter weather, which ranged from wind chills approaching 40 degrees below zero to blizzard conditions that forced the closure of a section of more than one of the Upper Peninsula’s major highways.
- Celebrating statehood: Michigan's state symbols
Michigan celebrates its 182nd birthday on Jan. 26. Learn more about Michigan's state symbols, statehood and other fun facts about the Great Lakes State.
- Celebrating 100 years of Michigan state parks
On May 12, 1919, the Michigan Legislature established the Michigan State Park Commission to oversee, acquire and maintain public lands for state parks. To commemorate this historic milestone, the DNR will celebrate the 100-year anniversary of Michigan state parks throughout 2019.