In addition to measuring progress in meeting the public land strategy’s goals, strategies and measurable objectives, the following key actions will be implemented to improve the management and administration of DNR-managed public lands. Key actions are strategic initiatives that are in addition to normal department operations, often requiring dedicated resources, including funding, personnel and support to achieve results.
Goal: Protect natural and cultural resources
- Develop comprehensive database of known cultural resources on DNR-managed public lands.
- Resolve issues of federal funding and management compatibility with facilities and land-use practices to ensure compliance with grant and program requirements.
Goal: Provide access to outdoor public recreation opportunities
- Complete a roads plan to ensure appropriate amounts of motorized and nonmotorized access to DNR-managed public lands while considering resource protection, ability to maintain infrastructure and access for management functions.
- Work with partners to establish one new “signature park” in a core urban area as a tool for urban revitalization, establishing a prototype model of cooperation that can be implemented in other cities.
Goal: Promote responsible natural resource management
- Work with partners including the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and the Office of Outdoor Recreation Industry to build a prototype for a collaborative effort to use public lands to foster economic growth, placemaking and cultural identity in three Michigan communities.