Dam Management Grants
This grant is no longer active or soliciting applications, but this webpage will remain posted as a resource for past recipients. Potential applicants can find similar funding opportunities through the new Fisheries Habitat Grant.
The objective is to provide funding and technical assistance to conservation partners to manage dam removal, repair, and major maintenance projects that will enhance aquatic resources and fishing opportunities along with reducing infrastructure costs and improving public safety in Michigan.
Applications are evaluated based on criteria established in the Dam Management Grant Program handbook, which is available under the “Forms and Information for Applicants” section below.
Local, state, federal, or tribal units of government, non-profit groups, or individuals.
1. Submittal of grant application with all supporting documentation
2. Evaluation by DNR staff
3. Awards announced by DNR Director
Online grant applications must be submitted through MiRecGrants by due date stated on the schedule described within the Dam Management Grant Program handbook. This is typically mid-November each year.
- Grant application process begins early October
- Grant application due mid-November
- Awards announced by mid-April
- Project period begins upon execution of grant agreement
- Project periods are one and a half years (two construction seasons)
- No minimum grant request amount
- Maximum grant request amount: Amount of funds appropriated in a given fiscal year, typically around $350,000
- Minimum match of 10% is required
Source(s) of Funds:
State of Michigan General Fund
Part 5 of Act 451, P.A. 1994, as amended, to receive funds
Fisheries Division: Joe Nohner, 517-284-6236
Grants Management Section: Chip Kosloski, 517-284-5965