1. Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age and have earned a High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) Certificate.
2. Applicants must agree to obtain the minimum college credits (listed below) within 24 months after hire OR:
- Have an educational background that includes at least 15 semester (23 term) college credits in any field or;
- Possession of 30 semester (or 45 term) college credits in any academic or degree prerequisite area meets the educational requirement or;
- Any bachelor's degree or;
- Two years of satisfactory Corrections Officer employment at the state or federal prison level, or private prison housing state/federal prisoners fulfills the educational requirements or;
MILITARY VETERANS: Currently taking two years of honorable service or good standing (from guard or reserves) in lieu of our 15 college credit requirement (any area of study). Military personnel can receive college credit for their military training by obtaining a Joint Service Transcript. To obtain JST https://jst.doded.mil/official.html
3. The Department of Corrections may screen out job applicants who have been convicted of a felony in accordance with Public Act 191 of 2017. Applicants who have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony are ineligible for employment with the Department of Corrections until satisfactory completion of any sentence imposed, including parole or probation.
Any questions regarding the minimum qualifications should be directed to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Recruitment Section, P.O. Box 30003, Lansing, MI 48909, Phone 517-335-1874 or toll-free 888-820-7129.